Search This Blog

Monday, September 16, 2024

Abby and Connor Griffith Story

Just Another Runner’s Story September 2024 Written by Gale Fischer


Running: A Shared Passion Among Twins

“Siblings are a volume of childhood memories; a nostalgia that cannot be easily deleted.”

—-Vincent Okay Nwachukwu


Running is sometimes a theme among family members. Watching a sibling implement a running routine into their lives may prompt other members of the family to begin their own running journey. Often times it starts with a parent who embraces our sport although the coin can be flipped. There are those adults who decide to give running a try after supporting a son or daughter cross-country runner. A younger brother or sister may develop a hunger for the sport after hours spent spectating at an older sibling’s cross-country meets. It is common for brothers and sisters to establish a bond through running. Sometimes this connection may hit another level when it involves twins. Abby and Connor Griffith recently completed their senior year at Marshall High School as members of the track team, sharing their last year as children living in the same household with double success on the oval.


Being on the same team as seniors may have provided the Griffith twins with fond memories that they will carry with them for years to come, but Abby and Connor’s first experience as teammates came early on in life in another sport. Connor discusses his first recollection of playing sports. My first memory of sports was playing AYSO soccer. This was a league in Olivet for young kids. My dad was our coach so that was cool.” Connor played soccer with his twin sister for AYSO for a few years before moving on to a separate sport. “I started Rocket Football in fifth grade. The only part I liked about football was that I got to run.  My older brother Noah was a runner and my dad had always been a runner, running in high school and collegiately at Michigan State and continuing running on his own after this. I grew up in a running family and this is what I wanted to do.” It didn’t take long for running to become something that Connor developed a passion for. 


Abby’s journey with running took a different course than Connor’s. Abby reflects on her story as an athlete. “I continued playing soccer through seventh grade and also tried cross-country in middle school. Everyone in my family was a runner so I decided I should try. I really didn’t like it at the time and decided one season was enough. Ultimately I focused on basketball which has always been my favorite sport.” Abby started playing basketball in second grade. She continued on the hardwood through middle school and high school. She also returned to soccer in her sophomore year but had a setback when she tore her ACL and meniscus during the season. “Because of the injury I sustained while playing soccer,  I wasn’t able to play any sports my sophomore year.”


Abby was a part of the basketball team all through high school but would have to show her team spirit from the sidelines her sophomore year. “I made the JV team during my freshman year of high school. I was confident in my ability that year. Unfortunately, I was injured my sophomore year but was still at practices and games to support my team. It was frustrating having to sit and watch. Physically I felt that I could have played but mentally it was draining not being able to.” Abby was hoping for a breakout year her junior year after recovering from her injury but the season was not what she had hoped for. “My junior year I was on the varsity team but this was even more of a struggle. I felt like I wasn’t playing to my potential. My confidence became depleted. After finishing basketball in my junior year I thought about running track but decided to focus on getting ready for my senior basketball season. I worked hard on my skills and in the weight room during the off-season and came back with much more confidence. I’m proud of the work that I put in.”  The hard work that Abby had put in during the off-season would pay off and she enjoyed the experience of her last year on the hardwood. She and her teammates formed a strong bond and developed chemistry. 


Connor devoted his time as a high school athlete to being a runner, spending each fall season with his cross-country teammates and on the track during the spring. “My final year of cross-country was my most memorable year and I was able to qualify for the state meet. I finished tenth at regionals individually and our team also qualified for the state meet.” Connor’s times as a junior were impressive but he wanted to go faster. “My five-kilometer times seemed to get  stuck in the seventeen-minute range as a junior but I was able to make the jump to consistently run in the sixteens my final year.” Connor is proud of what he accomplished his senior year as a cross-country runner and will always have fond memories of this but his individual success is not what defines his cross-country career. “The ending of my high school cross-country career was great but the journey is what I appreciate the most. I remember the early Sunday morning runs with my teammates after a hard Saturday meet. Pushing through some tough workouts with others built some great memories. Early morning practices were my favorite. Knowing that I was putting in the work before everyone else was out of bed gave me a sense of accomplishment.”


The influence that Connor’s cross-country teammates and coaches provided for him was a huge source of inspiration for him but his accomplishments and passion for running started at home. “My dad doesn’t talk about his running days much but he has always been a guiding force. It’s helpful to have a parent who understands what it is like to be a runner. I never try to sugarcoat running. It sucks and it hurts but there is nothing that gives me more fulfillment.” 


Cross-country has provided Connor with memories and accomplishments that will last a lifetime but his biggest success as an athlete came on the track. “I enjoyed all four years of track, but my senior year was the best. It was the highlight of my career as a student-athlete. Winning the state meet relay race as a member of our four by eight hundred team with my buddies was so cool. Our relay team also qualified for the New Balance Outdoor Nationals held in Philadelphia. It was a special experience. Going to Philadelphia with my teammates and competing was the best weekend of my life. It was amazing running against some of the best high school runners in the country.” The first-place finish at the state meet was the pinnacle of Connor’s senior season and his entire track career but his last year of track was filled with highlights. “Our relay team ran our best time of the season with a time of seven minutes and forty seconds. The guys on our team worked hard and this mentality fueled our confidence and desire to keep working hard. I know that I wouldn’t have done as well and put in as much effort as I had if it were not for my teammates. Having a teammate like Jack Bidwell who is one of the best in the state has pushed all of us. I was the lone senior on the four by eight hundred team and I kind of took on the role of being the leader. We all pushed each other for our workouts.” 


Abby’s focus as an athlete throughout high school may have been basketball but after finishing her final season she felt that she needed to fill a void. “After my final basketball game as a senior I didn’t want to be done with high school sports so I decided to go out for track.” Abby had no previous experience as a high school runner but this didn’t prevent her from competing at a high level. “I went into my only track season with the intention to try to run as well as I could but not get down on myself if I wasn’t successful. I started seeing improvement right away. My focus was the eight-hundred-meter open run. Sometimes I ran the four hundred meter open and the four by one hundred relay. My best time for the eight hundred for the season was two minutes and twenty-eight seconds. I was voted the most improved for our team. I was one second off from qualifying for the state meet.” 


Abby was pleasantly surprised by how well she did in her first and only track season. After finishing the season she decided to pursue running at the next level. “My brother Noah has run for Ferris State for the last few years. Because of this, I decided to contact their track coach. The coach was impressed with my times and has allowed me to join the team. I will be running both track and cross-country at Ferris State.” 


Abby has enjoyed the experience of being a teammate with her brother. “Connor and I are twins and friends. Although we both kind of had our own little groups of friends to hang out with on the track team it was nice to have him there to support. Now I’m excited to go to Ferris and spend more time with Noah.” 


Although Abby has only been a runner for less than a year, she has caught the bug. “ I see myself as a runner long term. The biggest component of running for me is the mental push that it requires and the motivation it gives me. My goal is to one day run a marathon.” She has learned from her experience and offers words of wisdom to others. “My best words of advice for others is to cheer on and support others because it helps to feed your passion. Also, have faith in yourself. I believe that everything happens for a reason and even if you are not where you want to be you are where you need to be. Be patient and things will change.”


Connor to has learned a great deal from the sport of running. It has helped to shape his philosophy in athletics and in life. “Perish in the attempt to accomplish something possible even if failure is certain. Set your dreams high and make goals to get there. Even if no one else believes in you as long as you believe in yourself you can do anything.” 


Athletics can provide the perfect mix of experiences for individuals to bond and inspire one another. Sports can provide positive opportunities and sharing sports with others can enhance these opportunities. A connection made with peers through sports is something to be grateful for. Having this connection with a twin is a blessing.


Everyone has a story.  Stay tuned next month for another runner’s story.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharon Waltman Story

Just Another Runner’s Perspective ...