Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Owen Gilbert Story

Just Another Runner’s Story By: Gale Fischer November 2021


Passion and Confidence: The Perfect Marriage


“Drive, determination, passion and hard work are all free and more valuable than a pot of cash.”

---- Richard Branson


High School athletics provides the perfect metaphor for life with a proven formula for success. Luck can sometimes enter into the equation but one will not experience true accomplishment on chance alone. The most basic element in the pursuit of achievement is hard work, but keeping one’s nose to the grindstone requires more than physical input. One must dig deep to put in the work required for success without joy attached to it. The mental stamina required for consistent labor decreases for an activity that does not pique interest. Imagine searching for the inner strength to put in the labor required to prosper in an activity or career that you absolutely despise. The lack of mental endurance would make it a struggle at best to push forward day after day. If one is passionate about something, the internal drive to exert an ongoing 100% effort will eliminate most any mental hurdle. With hard work comes success and eventually confidence. Confidence will fuel the passion which will increase the desire to work hard creating heightened success. Passion matched with confidence will generate the perfect storm for prosperity. This marriage of passion and confidence has allowed Harper Creek senior Owen Gilbert to enjoy the satisfaction that comes with competing at a high level as an athlete.

 

Like many school age children, Owen was indoctrinated into the world of sports at a young age. “I started playing t-ball in elementary school with Wattles Park Men’s Club. I also participated in flag football with my dad as the coach. I began playing lacrosse in 3rd grade, with my dad as one of my coaches.”  If asked to identify why Owen developed a love for sports, I would guess that the initial spark occurred when sharing athletics with his father as coach and he as athlete.


Owen’s father, Mike, began this cherished relationship as a coach for his son, with Owen’s older brother Connor. Mike was on the forefront of popularizing lacrosse as a sport in the Battle Creek area. “I started coaching youth lacrosse when my older son Connor started playing in 5th grade. Although Owen wasn’t a member of Connor’s team he was there often to experience it.” 


Owen would go on later in high school to excel as a runner but lacrosse became his first love as an athlete. I spent a lot of time watching Connor play when I was younger. By the time I was old enough to play I was ready.”  Although Connor and Owen’s mom, Kris, wasn’t able to experience lacrosse the same way as her husband and sons as coach and participants, she recalls fond memories of watching her boys grow up on the lacrosse field. “Owen grew up with a lacrosse stick in his hands watching Connor play. Both Connor and Owen played lacrosse with BC LAX, known now as Harper Creek LAX,  during the spring season from third grade through eighth grade.” 


Owen quickly realized that one season of lacrosse a year was not enough for him. “I also started playing on a summer lacrosse team with BJ Sports composed of kids from throughout Southwest Michigan. I continued with BJ Sports through my sophomore year. Lacrosse was definitely my first love.”  Being a part of the BJ Sports summer lacrosse league became a huge commitment for Owen and his parents. A great deal of time would be spent on the road, traveling to tournaments in the Midwest and beyond. This financial and time sacrifice was well worth it, creating strong friendships for both Owen and his parents, while also instilling Owen with a relentless work ethic. Owen continued with BC LAX during the spring season through eighth grade, joining Harper Creek’s Varsity squad as a freshman. Jim Robinson, one of Owen’s high school lacrosse  coaches, has been witness to the passion and hard work that has led Owen to success on the field. “I have had the opportunity to coach Owen in some fashion for many years. He has always been easy to coach and eager to improve no matter what the cost. Owen has a work  ethic that is second to none and does everything he can to make himself a better athlete. Not only is Owen a great athlete but he is an outstanding student as well.”


Matt Bilger, another one of Owen’s high school lacrosse coaches couldn’t agree more with Coach Robinson. “Owen is definitely one of the most gifted and hardest working athletes that I've ever had the pleasure of coaching. Owen has also enjoyed success as an elite-level runner, so we allowed him to dual-sport between lacrosse and track beginning his junior year. Despite completing a full 2-hour track practice every day before coming to lacrosse, he was still one of the most competitive and energetic players on the field.” 


Lacrosse became Owen’s spring sport as a youngster. Like many of his classmates he tried football beginning in third grade. Owen’s tenure with rocket football allowed him to spend time with friends but it didn’t hold his interest. “I grew tired of rocket football after a few seasons and  decided to try cross country in 6th grade. I enjoyed it immediately.”  Although Owen enjoyed cross country as a middle school athlete at that time it was simply a fall sport. He would start running when the season began and hang up his running shoes once the season commenced. “I enjoyed it immediately. I wasn’t the best at this time but I liked the social part of it. I made some friends and was able to talk some of my other friends into doing it. At that time I was just an in-season runner.” 


A major shift in how Owen felt about cross country would occur during the summer prior to his freshman year of high school. “The summer after eighth grade was a huge change for me. I began summer conditioning with the rest of my soon to be varsity teammates.”  The intensity that he saw in the upperclassmen boys had an impact on his perception of running as a sport. The social part of cross country remained an element that Owen loved but running daily with these seasoned runners sparked his competitive interest in the sport. One senior teammate in particular, Nico Grillo, seemed to have the biggest influence on Owen as a curious freshman. Nico took Owen under his wing and the two still talk today.Owen also received invaluable mentorship from his coach. Coach Renner saw signs immediately that Owen had the potential to be a special teammate and runner. Coach Renner realized early on Owen’s potential as a runner. “Right from the beginning of summer his freshman year, Owen started putting in the miles, constantly talked about wanting to improve, set lofty goals, and worked hard.  He asked training questions so he understood why we did different workouts, and attended summer training camps to surround himself with good runners and learn from them as well as other expert coaches.”


As is common with most freshman runners, Owen made steady progress over the course of his rookie season. “For my first race as a freshman I finished 4th for my team. My finishing time was in the 20s.”  Nico and the rest of Owen’s senior teammates wouldn’t let pride alter their relationship with Owen as he continued to chip away at the pecking order on his team. “I continued to make progress. In our last meet at regionals I was our team’s top finisher, finishing with a PR of 17:42.”  Owen came up short of accomplishing the goal he had made to break Harper Creek’s freshman record of 16:56 but the improvement he had made over the season was enough for him to evaluate what he wanted to accomplish for his remaining three years as a high school runner. 


Owen continued to put in the miles during the off season and sought out any morsel of information and motivation he could find to learn the nuances of running. He attended Great Lakes Cross Country Camp in Grand Junction, Michigan the summer after his freshman year. This camp taught Owen about PAAVO, a successful training program. The experience at this camp provided Owen with valuable knowledge about training and nutrition and expanded his social network in the running community, placing him at a new level as a runner. He came home from the camp and made a list of goals that would keep him focused. Mike recalls a change in Owen when he returned from camp. “When Owen came back from Great Lakes Cross Country Camp he covered his bedroom walls with written goals. I remember seeing these goals and wondering if he was biting off more than he could chew.”


Owen’s change in attitude during the summer after his freshman year paid off. “One of my goals was to win all-city which I was able to do my sophomore year. I was able to break into the 16 minute club.. We won regionals as a team. It was pretty cool going to state as a team composed of sophomores.” 


During the spring of Owen’s sophomore year the world would be put on hold due to the COVID Pandemic. His spring and summer lacrosse season was canceled and with all the extra free time Owen began to pile up the miles. “During the spring of my sophomore year I was training real hard. It was during COVID. I eventually hurt my foot. I was working with Rob Lillie, a personal trainer. Rob had me bike and do some running. It still continued to hurt. After a couple of months I finally decided to take a break to let it heal.”


Owen’s junior season did not go as well as he expected. “My junior year was strange. I was recovering from my foot injury, there was COVID and I couldn’t beat my PR from my sophomore year. I look back now and realize that my junior season was still a success.” Owen broke into the 16s once again and he and his teammates defended their regional championship title, punching a ticket again to the state meet. 


Owen would be presented another opportunity the summer after his junior year that would push him to yet another level. “Nico had attended Team Prep USA in Colorado after high school, a summer camp led by Coach Trent Sanderson. Elite high school runners from across the country attend this camp every year. I started talking to my parents about this camp.  I had to apply for this camp and get letters of recommendation.” Owen was accepted to the camp. His parents supported him in his quest to attend the camp but he would have to choose between the camp or summer lacrosse. The choice was easy for Owen and he packed his bags for Colorado.


Like the Great Lakes Cross Country Camp, Team Prep provided Owen with knowledge about training and nutrition as well as immersing him with elite runners and broadening his network of running friends. Through social media these friends are able to support each other from miles away. Training in the elevation of Colorado was an added bonus. Owen came back from Colorado, primed to have the best season of his high school career as a senior. 


Owen’s senior season would not start out as expected due to a freak foot injury while diving into a pool and a bout of the flu but he would hit his stride mid-season. “At the Otsego Invitational, I ran a career PR of 16:17. After the Otsego race I regained my confidence. I finally broke 16 minutes at the all-conference meet with a time of 15:41.”


Owen’s performance at the all-conference meet placed him in elite status giving him the number two spot on the all time Harper Creek leaderboard just seconds behind school leader Dave Ball whose time is adjusted from a distance of 3 miles to 3.1 miles. His performance also gives him the fastest 5K time in the history of high school cross country in Battle Creek. He and his teammates fell short at the regional meet, claiming runner up but still qualified for the state meet, with Owen earning all-state honors. 


Jack Gadwood, one of Owen’s high school XC coaches speaks highly of what Owen has done to reach for his goals. Owen has been one of the most dedicated athletes I have ever coached.  He does all of the little things right. Owen is confident in his ability to listen to his body and do what is best for his preparation.” 


Mike has enjoyed watching Owen grow as an athlete and wonders what else Owen may accomplish. “As a coach and being competitive with my boys I always try to push them to succeed. I always ask myself if they have peaked. I still wonder how far he can go.” 


Kris has enjoyed the memories that Owen has created for her family through the years. “ It has been neat to see Owen develop friendships at home and from kids he met at the camp in Colorado. He was able to share his highs and lows of the season with them over social media.”  What Owen went through when he was born has allowed Kris to savor his accomplishments even more. “Owen was 8 weeks premature. He was delayed with everything, including walking. To see what he has accomplished, despite being born premature, is overwhelming. Owen has always been our energetic kid. Running has helped him to be successful in every part of his life.” 


Owen has earned each and every accomplishment with his diligence and dedication. Looking back he has found a way to look at it with an honest perspective. “My advice to others is to find something you enjoy and keep working to succeed at it. Accomplishing a goal is one of the best feelings in the world. Look to the end goal but embrace the process.”


Nothing worth having will be given to you. It must be earned through intelligent decisions and hard work. Passion, hard work and confidence can work together to give one the motivation to never give up on success. These three attributes have blessed Owen with a lifetime of memories as a high school athlete that will carry him through all areas of life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharon Waltman Story

Just Another Runner’s Perspective ...