Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 24, 2024

The Runner's Playlist

Just Another Runner’s Perspective  April 2024 Written by Gale Fischer


The Runner’s Playlist

“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything.”

—Plato


5/8/1999: I waited in anticipation, immersed in the middle of a sea of runners. This would be my first time of many, running the  River Bank Run 25K. My running journey had commenced almost a year and a half prior with this being the biggest racing stage for me thus far. The atmosphere was electric with elite runners toeing the front line and a mass of humanity behind them waiting for the signal to start. Each side of the road was lined with spectators. I had trained for the last four months in the conditions that Michigan offers its residents each winter and was ecstatic to finally put my training to the test after logging many miles on my feet in the cold and snow. My racing resume to this point included a half-marathon, a ten-kilometer race, and a full marathon over the past eighteen months.  There seemed to be much more of a buzz in the air today for this one than I had remembered for the others. The gun finally sounded and we were off. After about a mile there still were many runners surrounding me, but the big crowd had dispersed. Although the energy in the atmosphere still fueled my adrenaline, things had calmed down a notch. A mile later I could hear the lyrics of “Flirtin’ With Disaster” by Molly Hatchet, blaring from a jacked-up speaker just a quarter mile ahead. The music raised my adrenaline to another level. Running always provides a rush in itself. Sometimes it seems music has a way of enhancing this rush.


Songs always find a way to cement memories in one’s internal hard drive and then conjure up these memories years later when the song is heard again. This is true in all facets of life including running. I can’t come up with a plausible explanation, but hearing Moly Hatchet as I approached mile two of a race back in 1999 created a bookmark in my mind. Every time I hear the song it provides a flashback for just a moment. 


My early years of running were always without music. I knew of other runners who listened to music as they plodded through mile after mile, but this was a concept that didn’t seem to interest me initially. This would change however after a long run seven years into my running journey. I was training for a trail marathon and had put in a long run on the trails of Ott Biological Preserve. The run consisted of twenty-two miles on a three-mile loop. I navigated the first three or four loops, enjoying nature’s bounty but as I finished up the gauntlet I was ready to implement music into my running routine. Slugging through the last five miles seemed like dejuva and the monotony won over. 


I went shopping the next day, bought a simple MP3 player, and downloaded a playlist consisting of a few dozen songs. There are certainly those among us including runners and non-runners who might frown upon including music as part of running. It does seem as if runners indulge in this on a larger scale today than a few decades ago. Technology has given us many options for music and running. I can recall as a child, seeing people running while carrying a small cassette player, known as a Walkman in their hands. A few years later a circular-shaped CD player replaced the Walkman. 


After a decade I moved up from an MP3 player to an iPod, which allowed me to carry more songs with me. Soon enough Bluetooth came along and I was able to carry my iPod unattached to my headphones. Not long after this I downloaded a larger selection of songs to my smartphone which left the iPod obsolete. For a period of time, I ran with a watch with the technology to have songs directly downloaded to it. This seemed perfect because I didn’t have to worry about carrying my phone but this didn’t last long. I eventually decided that it was always wise to run with my phone for safety purposes. The next phase involved music sources such as Spotify and Apple Music which came with a minimal monthly fee. These sources made it easier to upload songs to my phone quickly to access larger playlists for offline purposes. The other option for these sources was to stream songs from specific artists or genres.


For many years I ran with music when running alone but would go without when sharing my sport with others. This changed several ago when I was invited to run with a local group of runners. Dave Berry, a member of this group, played music over the speaker on his phone while we ran. All members of the group enjoyed the added element. Conversation was not compromised because of the music. Typical topics were discussed and sometimes a particular song would spark a memory that would create another subject of dialogue. In time Dave began taking song requests. Eventually, he upgraded to a bigger Bluetooth speaker to enhance the quality of the sound. Dave became our running DJ.


The idea of listening to music from a portable speaker intrigued me. This topic came up in conversation at home with my wife and my son and soon I received my own speaker as a Christmas gift from my son. Immediately I replaced my earbuds with my new Bluetooth speaker on my training runs. I felt that it allowed me to listen to music while also being able to hear traffic and other sounds in my environment. It seemed a safer option than earbuds. 


I have taken my running jukebox to the streets for the last five years when running alone and sometimes for group runs. My playlist has also followed me to some races. I’m certain there are those runners who don’t appreciate hearing my selection of songs during a race but I have received comments from many who enjoy the addition to race day. I like to think of a marathon as a twenty-six-mile party. The music adds to the flavor of this party.


Particular songs bring me back to detailed memories of childhood and other seasons of life. Some of these memories include running moments from the past filled with details across all senses. Songs such as “Sweet Caroline” and “YMCA” bring with them images of running partners singing lyrics or performing hand motions as a way to elicit positive feelings to survive the physical discomfort common with sections of a run. Many acquire a list of songs that might help to pick up the beat for four or five minutes at a time. For me personally, some of these songs include, “Eye of the Tiger”, “Kickstart My Heart” “Thunderstruck”, and the guitar solo near the end of “Freebird”.


Jasmin Hutchinson, Ph.D and associate professor of exercise studies and sports science and director of sports and exercise psychology at Springfield College, spoke of the benefits of listening to music while running in an article published by Runner’s World in November 2018. “It’s pretty definitive that music is performance enhancing. Matching your stride to a particular beat can help you better regulate your pace. Songs with an average of 120 to 130 beats per minute are the ideal tempo for fast powerful running.”


Using music to match a desired cadence can optimize a workout but music goes beyond this. It can calm one’s nerves and balance the emotional, mental, and physical aspects of running. At times songs can create a much-needed distraction when the elements of running become unpleasant. What I like about music is that it can create flashbacks to the past, providing time to reflect. Running without the modern technologies of our world can provide a happy place but music can also enhance our sport.


Until next time, this has been just another runner’s perspective.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tyler Lewis Story

Just Another Runner’s Story ...