Search This Blog

Sunday, March 24, 2024

Not Without Support

Just Another Runner’s Perspective April 2024 Written by Gale Fischer


Not Without Support 

“If you have at least one person genuinely supporting you, you are blessed.”


Running is a unique sport with the bare basics that are needed. A pair of running shoes is often the most expensive item required. A few other staples including shorts, a shirt, socks, and gloves if the weather conditions are colder, round out the essentials. You can head inside to a gym and run on a treadmill or step outside your front door and traverse your neighborhood. Running early in the morning before the sun comes up is feasible but you can also get it in after work and finish up just before dinner. Running at midnight or in the middle of the afternoon is also optional. Being out of town for work or pleasure is not a reason to put your activity of choice on hold because there are routes to be run anywhere and anytime. Unlike many sports, a partner, or teammates are not necessary.  At its most simplistic level, running is an athletic activity that can be practiced independently without assistance from others, but from personal experience, my running story has not played out on an island. The milestones and enjoyment I have experienced as a runner for over two decades have been shared with others. My legs and physical stamina have pushed me through every single mile but in reality, my running journey would look much different without the support of others around me. 


A portion of this support has come from my running peers. The running community has blessed me with individuals, who also embrace running, to enjoy the miles with. Sharing in the positive experience of our sport with like-minded people is always rewarding. Beyond these extrinsic rewards, the support that comes from other runners is the best way to maintain the discipline required to get through the not-so-pleasant parts of running. Getting out the door early in the cold or slugging through a rough stretch in a long run is always a little easier when sharing the miles. The emotional backing from the running community is always appreciated with guidance, coaching, inspiration, and mentorship also playing integral roles in what many runners can gain from their cohorts. Whether intended or not, runners support other runners. Although many miles may be run solo, leaning on others through training runs, races, and social media can help provide the motivation to keep an active routine fresh. Running alone is undoubtedly a great source of satisfaction and can often be enough to sustain, but support from others raises this satisfaction to another level. 


We are all blessed to be a part of the running community. Collectively we give and receive. We have each other’s backs, but the support that many runners obtain goes beyond what comes from their running peers. For me personally, I would have been hard-pressed to sustain as a runner for the last two decades without the backing of non-runners. 


My running journey began with a desire to tackle a marathon. Within six months of my first run, I completed a half-marathon. A half year later I ran my first full marathon. The training and time commitment required from a distance of 13.1 miles and 26.2 miles often comes with sacrifice from not only the runner but also from the runner’s family members. My wife Kathy, played a huge role in getting me to the starting line for this initial marathon. I was not connected to the running community at this time and did not have others to train with, to dialogue with, to seek training advice from, and to offer me emotional support for the rigors of marathon training. I had a goal but had no idea what I was getting myself into. For many of my training runs I mapped out a loop around our house. Kathy would meet me at different spots on the course with water. 


My training for the half-marathon went well and I was able to complete it in just under two hours. Kathy was there to cheer me on and congratulate me when I finished. As I got into the marathon preparation I struggled to get beyond sixteen miles for my longer runs. I became frustrated and questioned if I had the physical and mental fortitude to complete the distance. After a long run cut short I confided in Kathy that I felt that I was in over my head. To my surprise she disagreed with my assessment, offering words of encouragement. There was no doubt in her mind that I could complete a marathon. Her confidence in me was a turning point for me, early in my running journey. I was ready to throw in the towel after less than a year as a runner. Kathy’s assurance boosted my confidence and pushed me over the hurdles that I had encountered in my training. 


Logging the miles for my long training runs for my first marathon alone was definitely a challenge. I’m not sure I could have done it without the support of my wife. We traveled to Toronto to meet friends for the weekend of the race. I had my personal cheering section of non-runners led by Kathy to meet me at four or five different locations on the course. She was even at the halfway mark as I handed her a sweat-soaked shirt in exchange for a clean one.


My first year of running seemed to roll along without interruption. There was work and other responsibilities at home but I established a training schedule that included a few days a week after work and then a long run on Saturday or Sunday followed by the remainder of the day for rest and recovery. Things would change soon, however with the birth of our first child Torey. Initially, I was clueless as to how this would impact my running, but I quickly realized the times that I could run would have to be negotiated. Flexibility would be the theme with early wake-up times for my weekend-long runs without the afternoon rest and recovery I had become accustomed to.


Establishing a high-volume running routine to allow for competitive racing for longer distance races is a tall task. The degree of difficulty is multiplied as a parent of young children. My best running times occurred when my kids were young. Enjoying my sport at a high level during this time would not have been possible without the support that came from Kathy. She traveled with me to cheer me on for my second marathon, navigating the neighborhoods of Chicago while pushing Torey, who was six months old, in a stroller. Kathy and Torey would be there on the sidelines for many of my races and a few years later after Logan was born he would join them as well. 


As our children transitioned to teenagers and then young adults, scheduling my runs would not require as much flexibility but this didn’t mean that I wouldn’t need support from my spouse any longer. There would be miles to get in on vacation. Injury would force me to stop running for periods of time. During these times of injury as a non-runner, Kathy didn’t necessarily understand the frustration I was feeling. Still, she always seemed to put up with my bad moods while offering encouragement. A non-running supportive spouse may not comprehend why running is so important for their running partner but like Kathy, they get that it is a source of satisfaction and accept the importance of running. 


Running continues to be an activity that requires little in terms of when it can happen, where it can happen, and needing others to make it happen. Being blessed with support from others who enjoy the sport can add to the experience. Finding that next layer of support from a non-running spouse is sometimes taken for granted but always appreciated. 


Until next time, this has been just another runner’s perspective.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tyler Lewis Story

Just Another Runner’s Story ...