Search This Blog

Saturday, February 24, 2024

Rhonda Smart Story

Just Another Runner’s Story                                                                                                                   January 2017                                                                                                                    Written By Gale Fischer 

Run, Bike, and Swim 

"Your gym membership is cheaper than therapy" 

There are many examples of injuries in sports related to overuse of a particular set of muscles. As parents and in the world of high school athletics, we encourage our youth to participate in multiple sports.  First and foremost the concept of a student-athlete is to expose children and teens to a variety of sports, immersing them in an abundance of experiences that come with athletics.  A byproduct of this is when individuals are not locked into a limited set of movements centered around one sport, they can reduce their risk of overuse injury.  This is true in particular for our youth whose muscular and skeletal systems are still growing and developing but it can also serve us well as adults.  As runners, we are involved in a sport with one of the most limited repertoires of muscle movement.  It can benefit us, especially as we get older,  to implement cross-training into our exercise regimen to keep us stronger as runners and avoid time off on the roads and trails.  This month's featured runner, Rhonda Smart, has adopted this philosophy into her own routine.   

When Rhonda's running story first began a few years ago, she was sidelined almost immediately with her first bucket list item of running a 5K race being put on hold. "I began in 2012 when we had our first GOTR team at the elementary where I teach. I signed on as a coach and started fresh as a runner like the girls."  

Rhonda's newfound hobby would soon be put on hold, however. "Four weeks before the race I developed plantar fasciitis and I had to stop running for about 6 months. I probably started with too many miles too soon and no stretching. I iced, stretched, and rested.  I did attempt some exercise with an elliptical trainer and a stationary bike but it was too boring. I was a bit smarter when I started up again and have not had any problems since.  I have been back at it for three years, having completed five half-marathons and several 5 and 10K races." 

Rhonda's indoctrination into running began as a way to support and mentor the young girls at the school she was teaching at, but as time went on she found that the sport offered many important attributes for herself as an individual, benefits of our sport which most of us relate to. "I like the time that I get to myself.  I like that I don't have to think about anything.  I can just clear my mind.  Sometimes I can push my mental and physical limits and other times I can just enjoy the quiet."  Rhonda's thoughts do sum up what we can get out of our sport at any time.  There are times when as runners we can push the envelope and stretch our physical and mental mindset, pushing ourselves out of our comfort zone.  On the other hand, we can take it easy and just enjoy the calming input created by the interaction of the physical stimulus from our own body with the sensory input of being outdoors.  Like Rhonda, we all have that choice each day of what we want our run to do for us. 

Some of us, find ourselves breaking through that initial mental barrier each time that we lace up our shoes and prepare to go for a run. After more than five years as a runner, Rhonda still finds herself struggling with that mental barrier each day. "It's always hard no matter how good I get or how much I run.  Some of it is mental.  I never said to myself before" Oh good I get to go out for a run," but I always feel good by the time I am finished with the run." 

I can relate to Rhonda's line of thought as it pertains to this mental stumbling block.  I crave almost every daily run.  I look forward to it and can't wait for the end of the workday so I can run.  As much as I look forward to this, the feelings associated with completing the run and being finished are just as much of an emotional high as the feelings that I get before and during the run.   

As much as Rhonda enjoys what running can offer her as an individual, she also appreciates the social aspect of her sport. "I have had several running mentors including co-workers and individuals who belong to Moms Run this Town.  The list includes Christie Valenzuela, Nicole Elder, Shayne Elwell, and Stacey Newton.  When I trained for my first half marathon with a time goal I didn't know that I could have completed it without the support of these women on some of my training runs.” This group of female runners that Rhonda has learned from are fine examples of what the latest running revolution has done for our society.  In recent years there has been an influx of females to our sport.  Running has the potential to strengthen the qualities of these lady runners making them not only great contributors to our society but also great role models for their own children. 

Rhonda's greatest inspiration as a runner comes from her uncle who struggled with obesity as a child. "My uncle Rex was overweight as a kid.  When he was in college he began running to stay physically fit.  It helped him to handle stress.  My grandfather, Rex's dad, died from complications with heart issues he dealt with much of his life, so Rex has used running to stay healthy.  He is sixty-six and still runs."  Rhonda's most memorable moment as a runner came a few years back when running her third half marathon in Fort Wayne, Indiana.  Her uncle Rex was there and she was able to run half of the race with him. 

Rhonda encourages all runners but especially those new to the sport to find others to share the journey with. "The first thing I would recommend would be to find a running group.  I enjoy running by myself but enjoy running with others more.  Runners will encourage you, push you, and help you keep going when you feel you can't go anymore." 

It goes without being said that Rhonda's goal for running is to continue running without injury but she has goals that go beyond this. "My short-term goals include finishing my mileage goals for the year.  I am on a team with Shayne and Christine to run 2016 miles for 2016.  I have seven weeks to go with 87 miles remaining to meet my goal.  My long-term goals include running in the Indianapolis Mini Marathon and completing halves in other states." 

Although Rhonda didn't see the connection between cross-training and staying healthy after her first injury just weeks into her running journey she has come to realize the importance of doing more than just running. "I really started cross-training last year.  I don't want running to be the only form of exercise that I do. I think that the cross-training keeps me in better shape for running.  I kayak, swim,  and do exercise videos with co-workers." 

As individuals, when we begin our running journey, we can't google a map to give us a glimpse of where it might lead us.  Rhonda's story began with her being a mentor for young girls through Girls on the Run.  Through the process, Rhonda has found mentorship for herself with a group of strong women guiding her along the way.  She has learned much from our sport but one important lesson that will serve her well is that although running may be the sport she is most passionate about, participating in other sports can only enhance the experiences that running can provide for her. 

Everyone has a story.  Stay tuned next month for another runner’s story.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tyler Lewis Story

Just Another Runner’s Story ...